About La Leche League
La Leche League is an international non-profit organization dedicated to providing education, information, support and encouragement to breastfeeding families. Volunteer Leaders have personal experience with breastfeeding and have been trained and officially endorsed by La Leche League International to help families with breastfeeding. Leaders are familiar with research and updated knowledge about breastfeeding. Leaders provide practical information and support for breastfeeding via telephone assistance, emails, meetings and also have group libraries with books on birth, breastfeeding and related parental issues. Anyone interested in breastfeeding is welcome to meetings, or to contact Leaders by phone or by email for help with breastfeeding. La Leche League Leaders have supported families and their choice of breastfeeding since 1956 and have grown from 7 women sharing a common vision to an international organization with groups in 65 countries. La Leche League Denmark officially began in 2012 although some of our Leaders were involved with La Leche League before arriving in Denmark. Our mission is to help families around the world breastfeed, through support from other parents, encouragement, information and education, and to work for a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of baby and parents.
La Leche League’s Philosopy
The philosophy behind La Leche League is shared by Leaders worldwide. Although many who come to meetings and call their local Leaders for help and support share this philosophy, we would like to emphasize that La Leche League meets and helps everyone, regardless of their personal philosophy. In point 8 we have chosen to change "father" to "partner" in accordance with the latest version of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. The ideals and principles of mothering are the foundatoin of LLLI beliefs are further developing in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, the most comprehensive handbook on breastfeeding and parenting ever published. It has provided needed answers to three generations of nursing families on every aspect of breastfeeding.
The basic philosophy behind the La Leche League is summarized in the tenets to the right:
- Mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying the needs of the baby.
- Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying relationship and an adequate milk supply.
- In the early years the baby has an intense need to be with his mother which is as basic as his need for food.
- Human milk is the natural food for babies, uniquely meeting their changing needs.
- For the healthy, full-term baby, breast milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth.
- Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need.
- Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
- Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support, help, and companionship of the baby’s father. A father’s unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child’s development from early infancy.
- Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.
- From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.